Sunday 29 December 2013

When You Don't Want Someone's Opinion (But They Give It to You Anyway)!


"My mom thinks my dark mani looks goth and aggressive-and that's why I'm single." -Karisma, 27

HOW TO DEAL Reality check: "Your mom's worried about your single status, not your manicure," says Vivian Diller, Ph.D., a psychologist in NYC. It probably scares her that she's not able to control your future, and by blaming your looks, she feels she can exert some power over the situation. Instead of wasting time on a mani chat, talk about what's actually on her mind.

"My friends thought my hair colour was 'fading really strangely', but it was just my ombre." -Kritika, 24

HOW TO DEAL Taking risks invites attention-positive and negative. "We just tend to fixate on the latter," says Diller. Realise that others are likely admiring your confidence, and flip your focus. Many looks (like ombre hair) start off polarising, but end up mainstream, thanks to cool, early adopters like you.

"My dad hates my tattoo- he won't even look at it." -Amrit, 25

HOW TO DEAL "Some parents have a hard time accepting that tattoos aren't just for bikers or other tattooed crews from their day," says Diller. The permanence also scares them. "Unlike piercings and dyed hair, a tattoo isn't just a phase," says Diller. While getting the parents on board could be an uphill battle, discussing your tattoo's significance may help. Want to avoid the argument altogether? Conceal it with Bobbi Brown Long Wear Compact Foundation, Rs 3,010.

"I walked into dinner wearing a new dark lipstick, and my family laughed at me. Someone even asked me if I came from a costume party." -Ria, 22

HOW TO DEAL "Instead of walking away from this situation feeling humiliated, remind yourself that people often laugh when they're uncomfortable with differences," says Diller. Have your iPhone stocked with photos
of the style you're emulating and educate them.

"My parents always tell me I look 'ill' when I'm slim-and 'healthy' when I haven't been to the gym in months." -Roshni, 23

HOW TO DEAL If their bad eating habits are to blame, you may have to play the parent here. You don't have to get all preachy, of course-just tell them a salad-bowl-size serving of pasta actually contains almost all the calories you need for the day...or that you're banking the calories so you can splurge on late-night fries. Sharing nutritional facts, rather than giving in, isn't just good for your waistline, it's also great for theirs!

No comments:

Post a Comment